Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A Day Away


Last weekend had nothing to do with cakes. I actually spent a couple of days away. I went to visit my sister and her family in Cedar Rapids.A low key change of scenery with a good dose of kids and dogs. Of course I did bring plenty of treats.

My sister and brother-in-law have recently adopted 2 dogs. The most recent is a rescue Great Pyrenees named Duke. We visited the farm where he had been staying with 11 other dogs(all but one a Great Pyrenees), 3 Llamas, 6 peacocks, and 10 goats. There are going to be llama and goat babies by May, and they are expecting at least one set of triplets. Most of the dogs, like Duke, are rescues, and most will be placed in homes where they can work. A young male named Joey will be guardian over a flock of baby doll sheep-a miniature breed being used to control weeds in an apple orchard. How cute is that?
The photo doesn't let you see the dog on my left that I'm petting, just goats and llamas.
I admire those that rescue animals that have been mistreated, spending time nurturing them and giving them a chance at a good life. This farm is a great place full of happy animals and some very pushy goats!

Just so you know, it's spring in Iowa, but we got almost 6" of snow later that afternoon. It melted by the time I had left the following afternoon, but what a difference a day makes.

No comments: