Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Groom's Cake or Cake Top?

Twenty years ago, give or take, a groom's cake was a chocolate affair covered in ganache, truffles, chocolate dipped fruits and lots of greens, fresh as well as chocolate dipped.

In the last decade, it has evolved into a 3-dimensional, themed confection to illustrate the groom's hobby, career or funny quirk.

In just the last couple of days I have learned that the term "groom's cake" can also be defined as the small cake saved for the anniversary. Usually 5 or 6 inched in diameter, decorated like the displayed wedding cake or maybe more fancifully.
Ahh...This revelation has explained a couple of phone inquiries that left me puzzled.

This small cake is what I call the "cake top" since it used to be the top tier of the wedding cake, removed and boxed, to be taken home by the bride and groom at the end of the reception. I simply box and wrap it separately, so no one has to touch it but me.

No worries, I just have to ask the right questions to be sure my groom's cake/cake top definitions matches that of the brides calling.

No comments: